Saturday, January 13, 2007

I Want to Want it, but I Don't: Apple's iPhone

OK, this post is a couple of days late in coming, but I had to digest the buzz before coming to a halfway intelligent opinion. Having said that...It certainly looks pretty. And I'll bet its introduction will be a kick in the pants for other phone manufacturers and designers, which will reap rich rewards for the phone-buying public. But my ultimate reaction to the iPhone is, eehhh. Not super lustful to get one. I'm sure it'll do very well in sales, but I want functionality, not just music and video. For those of you who, like me, want to be able to do actual productive stuff with our phones, this one doesn't seem to be for us.

What's missing? First, a reasonable price. At $500 for 4GB and $600 for GB, it would have to be one hell of a phone to get me to buy one. And it ain't that. Second, it doesn't support 3G. Third, it doesn't (yet) support MS Office documents. I want to be able to create, open, and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint docs. No can do. Fourth, and perhaps worst, it is not open to third-party developers. Apple can be paranoid that way.

So, it'll be a hit with the iTunes crowd, but not the Blackberry posse.