Sunday, January 21, 2007

Save CPU Usage: Run Ad-Aware in Deep Background

Here comes a confession. Ready? I don't run an adware scan as often as I should. There, I said it. I feel better now. Why don't you run an adware scan as often as you should? you ask. Because Ad-Aware is decidedly hoggish in its use of my CPU, which has but one, single, lonely core. You see, my machine is more than 4 years old. Someday I'll get one with many many cores, but for now, it's not to be. However, today I found a very useful tip that will put me back on the path to adware-free living. If you set your Ad-Aware app to scan in the backgound, it will run in a low-CPU-usage mode, hardly affecting your computer's speed at all. In fact, I just ran a scan while working on this post. No problem! Here's what you need to do. First, get Ad-Aware if you don't have it already. Next, follow these simple, easy to understand instructions:
  1. Open Ad-Aware and click on the Gear button to open the Configuration Window.
  2. Click the Tweak on the bottom of the left column.
  3. Click the + next to Scanning Engine.
  4. Click the x next to Run scan as background process (Low CPU usage) to change it to a checkmark.
  5. Click the Proceed button to save your settings.
That's it. Enjoy!