Sunday, February 04, 2007

Dan Simmons: The Terror

Dan Simmons is a truly amazing author. Stephen King is quoted on the back cover of Dan's latest, "I am in awe of Dan Simmons." So am I. I just finished The Terror, which was 769 pages of astonishing depth and sphincter clenching suspense. The length of the book may be intimidating, but I found it very difficult to put it down, resulting in several nights of staying up way past my usual bedtime. The book is based on the Sir John Franklin expedition in search of the Northwest Passage, but it is in no way a dreary historical book. It is fiction of the most compelling kind, creepy, moving, horrible, and humorous. Simmons pulls no punches in his descriptions of what these men did to survive. I will say no more, except that the ending was the kind that leaves you fully satisfied, as if after a bountiful and delicious meal. Click on the link below to find out more about Dan Simmons' The Terror.

The Terror
The Terror