Friday, February 09, 2007

Do Your Taxes & eFile...Free!

I've had an accountant do my taxes for many years. I began using an accountant because I was living and working in a foreign country and the issues were beyond my ken. This year, I'm going to try doing it myself. (My accountant is also a friend who might read this. I hope he's not going to be upset with me. Who knows, I may go crawling back to him if it gets too messy or troublesome.)

Of course the only reason to do it myself is to save a few simoleons. So I find that there are several varieties of free tax prep software and webware on offer. For a review of what's available for free on the IRS site, visit here. (You have to have had an adjusted gross income of below $52,000 to qualify for these, apparently. I think I might have squeaked past that, so I moved on.)

I ended up downloading TaxAct's free version. I'll give it a whirl and see how it serves. Good luck with your taxes!